Garmin TR-1 Gold Autopilot

Well my new boat is here and it came with the Garmin TR-1 Gold on the kicker. Here's my revelation..................the kicker is not controlled by any steering wheel, but only by the Garmin. Is this typical? I'm envisioning needing to make quick changes to course or speed when I get entangled in one of those boat clusters we all encounter and not being able to adjust quickly enough. Am I concerned needlessly? Can I program the changes into the handheld unit fast enough to avoid problems. I know you've all been in these situations.

The TR-1 is pretty responsive and once you get familar with the control you shouldn't have any problems handling the boat. You can turn the boat quickly by pushing just one button on the control.

I would spend some time concentrating on getting the feel of running the kicker with the TR-1 before trying to run with a full spread out. It shouldn't take too long to get the basics down once you're on the water.

New boat looks great, enjoy her!

The TR-1 is pretty responsive and once you get familar with the control you shouldn't have any problems handling the boat. You can turn the boat quickly by pushing just one button on the control.

I would spend some time concentrating on getting the feel of running the kicker with the TR-1 before trying to run with a full spread out. It shouldn't take too long to get the basics down once you're on the water.

New boat looks great, enjoy her!

Thanks mudflat!

Changes are easy. Press up arrow to increase speed as needed. Rt or Lt arrow are held down until the bow points in the direction you want. Autopilot will then adjust steering to maintain that course. Things happen faster when you are moving faster.

You only have to stay aware of your surroundings and adjust course as needed. In emergency situation, give full throttle and steer wherever you need to go.

As already stated, practice first and get acclimated to your system before entering "the pack".