SENECA 5/9/12

Finally got a few days off from work. Made it out on the lake for a few hours in the afternoon. It was overcast with an intermittent NW wind providing some nice salmon chop. I was psyched to try out my brand new lead core setup (had to watch some youtube videos the night before to figure out how to tie into the backing and tie on a leader). Anyway I set it out with 4 colors plus 2 lines off the riggers and wouldn't you know within 15 minutes the drag was screaming with a nice 5lb salmon tail dancing about 140 ft behind the boat! Fighting a fish on the lead core feels a little detached, but I'm not complaining that was the 1st salmon for me in a few trips. Set the lead core back out and also switched to a dipsey on the other rod and that produced 2 lakers, one about 4 and the other a nice 6 lbr. Nothing on the riggers for me today. Nice to get the skunk out of the boat. Hoping to get out a couple times next week. Had the lake to myself yesterday afternoon, only saw one other boat and it was a kayak.

Funny thing was my sonar only marked a few fish, so I am still not sure if it is working correctly. Pulled the boat out of the lift and planning on some repairs and installing a brand new Lowrance this weekend, pretty excited.

P1000662.jpg

Nice looking fish. I'd say as long as you are marking bottom really good and a few fish here and there that your fish finder is working fine. A new lowrance would b nice though... Were you on the north end or the south end?