West end bait levels

With two back to back weekends of tournament fishermen pounding Niagara County shores I was wondering what everyone's opinion on bait levels seen on the graph and stomach contents? With all the Cormorants around and all the KINGS doing their thing......I was wondering how the bait was holding up? What are your thoughts and comparisons with previous years?

I have been curious to where all the bait is at? Last year we had bait so thick on the canadian side of the fence during the WHI that we had 5 Alewives on our spoons when we pulled lines one day during pre fishing. I haven't been fishing much this year, but so far the bait has been eluding our fishfinder.

I believe the bait is way inshore spawning right now, inside of where we were fishing.

I suspect the kings are making quick foraging raids way inside, eating their fill, and moving back out to the deeper water they are more comfortable in.

I didn't look at any of the stomachs this weekend, but I was out on a friends boat last Sunday (the 6th ) and despite not marking any bait on the graph, one of the kings we cleaned on the water had between 15 and 20 alewives of at least 3 different year classes crammed into it's stomach.

Once the alewives finish their business in tight, we'll start seeing them on the graphs.

Tim

I completely concur with Tim. They are loaded with alewives, but we did have some Olcott fish coughing up smelt. They lay in waiting outside the mature bait--the schools they lived with all winter. Today, despite our highest shot being 45', the Kings were pushing bait up to the surface. Theres been a layer in the top 10' from time to time. Now that its starting the rapid warm up, you will see it better soon.

I have fished this lake since '77, and I am anticipating some incredible giants this Summer/Fall.

I completely concur with Tim. They are loaded with alewives, but we did have some Olcott fish coughing up smelt. They lay in waiting outside the mature bait--I have fished this lake since '77, and I am anticipating some incredible giants this Summer/Fall.

I like that biology lesson! If my fuel tak replacement occurs by the end of this summer I will attemp to prove your theory correct.