I have recently moved to the Ajax area from the Yukon and I would love to get out on the lake fishing. I am just looking for some tips or pointers on what is biting at what time of year and approximate places that are good for fishing. I am not looking for someone to give up their secrets, but just a bit of direction on where to start.

If I get my boat ready in time, I am hoping to get out tomorrow and just poke around with the fish finder on. Should I be taking a rod with me?

Any direction, would be greatly appreciated.

take a rod for sure but warning....cops are on the water big time for this long weekend. Checking licences and safety equipment. They also check for your boat operators card.

fishing is fun but getting dinged for a fine really smarts!

My buddies are still picking up some fish up high in the water. 20 or so feet down, over deeper water. Not sure if you are running riggers or not, but a good sinker will get you down to some fish.

Cool, thanks. I thought I would do a bit of poking around out infront of oshawa in some deeper water and out infront of the Pickering nuke plant. As far as all the safety gear etc goes, the only thing I do not have back yet is the boat license. I am still waiting for it in the mail.

• 4 weeks later...

fishing in the Yukon is awesome!! I usually quadded in and either took a belly boat or an electric motor as a lot of the lakes had boats stashed at them. You would almost always have the lake to yourself. For bigger water fishing, I have caught some monster lake trout on Teslin lake. There is also salmon fishing in some Yukon rivers, but the ocean and the rivers feeding it are not far away. It is very easy to love fishing in a place like that!