what VHF channels do you use around Sandy Creek?

dremarquis

Well, i finally have my fixed-mount VHF and 8' antenna mounted and am planning to fish out of Sandy either Thurs pm or Fri.

What channels do the fisherman use most often?

my understanding is the the Coast Guard requires boats with VHF radios to be named - is that correct? It seems weird to name such a small 16' aluminum starcraft, but i think i'm gonna go with "i-fisher"

over,

dre (usually fishing solo out of i-fisher)

The FCC rules require you to monitor Channel 16, for safety on the water and calling other boats. Some radios can scan other channels. Some guys stay on 6, 68, etc. Failure to monitor 16 can cause distress to other boaters and yourself when you need help quickly from nearby boats. But then we've been getting away from it so long, we think its OK to stay on other frequencies. I suppose when the stuff hits the fan and you're not using your radio properly, you can tell it to the judge why you failed to assist the needs of a boat in distress. The Coast Guard broadcasts mayday and pam relays on 16 and you are no use if you are not monitoring 16.

I think the naming requirement is based upon length though I may be wrong. Something like 24 or 25 feet requires the boat to be named and the name and home port be painted on the transom. Maybe one of the charter guys can pipe up on this. I don't think a float tube fishin man carrying a portable VHF needs to name his float tube. "Tubular Swells" for you Mike Oldfield fans out there.

For a small boat, try something like what the President does. Marine One is the callsign for any Marine Corps aircraft he embarks upon. Pick your name and use it on what ever small boat you are on.

What? I told you all I was a retired Marine (helicopter type). You really wouldn't expect me to use Air Force One as the example would you especially since the Prez flys in Marine helicopters?

Never needed a boat name myself, Jekyll's good enough for me.

Jekyll

FCC rules allow you to operate a marine band radio without a license, but, and that's a big but, you need a FCC license in Canadian waters. A license gives you a set of numbers and your personal call sign. They have a web site for more info and rules, etc. Future radios will be encoded like "caller ID".

The FCC charges more for the license than a radio costs today. For safety's sake its best you have one. The station license and an operators ticket are just another problem with government gone mad again. With industry moving offshore to avoid health insurance and social security taxes Washington is desperate to keep its checks cashing.