planer boards not pulling very hard

Ok, I just started using a set of used boards that came with the mast and riggers . The mast is mounted high on the bow platform,so i am about 7'-8' off the water. The boards are all plastic and weighted at the back to keep them upright ,they really ride nice thruogh the water but i feel they are not pulling hard enough. I was told by the previous owner to just attach the line directly to the front eye bolt and let them out. there is a left and right board. The boards were made by Mac -Jac out of Muskegon Mi. The company has since gone out of business. I am thinking of putting a length of line on the boards with a lopp 1/3 back to open up the angle. any thoughts. The picture is one I found on line with the original box and instructions ( I have no instructions) I have attached a pic of one "board"

planer_board_5220528.jpg

I asked similar questions with the same general issues with planers. It all comes down to weight and angle. The angle on the front of your planer board is what makes the board pull away from the boat. The deeper the board rides in the water the more surface tension against the angle the harder the board pulls. You can try to weight them better or change degree of angle. My opinion is if the board doesnt do what you want it probally never will. I tried to use inline planers for a season, then got big double planer boards, they work better but still not what i wanted. I made custom boards, they work the best. There is a blueprint on the tackle section of this site to make homemade boards its a good starter, i made a few sets and experimented before i got what works best for me. good luck.