Cayuga 6/15-16

Launched Taughannock both days. All jigging.

Friday: Took a friend out. He's new to fishing the lake, done some small stream trout fishing before.

Buzzed up to AES. It was a steady pick, but T's lack of experience really showed, he only hooked one out of the 10 or so hits he had. Some were just little taps but he had a few good grabs that could've been caught. Good enough for him though, a 6-7 lb laker and the biggest fish he's caught (so far!) I managed 6 I think but was focusing on getting him fish.

He's just got to work on the setting the hook reflex. A day of fishing aggressive fish will cure that in a hurry, maybe next time. Got a few over on the West side. 55-75 fow. Too much bait, not enough hooks, definitely better screen last week. Headed in 10:30.

Saturday: Fished solo. Today I was all over mid-lake. Surface temps 65-69.

AES first for a few, then N a bit for a couple more, then decided to make the run to Sheldrake. Should've waited an hour as the S wind gave it one last blow before dying. 2' whitecaps are a bit on the bumpy side for my tin lizzie. Saw a lot of fish, caught 1 before deciding to head back S.

Back to AES. Picked up another 2. Wind died. So did the bite. Back to the W side at Interlaken Beach and points S. Worked my way down to Kingtown Beach picking off a few more. Managed three between 10 and 2 pm for a total of 8 or 9. I tend to lose count after six or so. :D Biggest was 28.5".

Never saw a good enough screen to stay in one place for too long. Still a lot of fun, checking out water I haven't fished in a few years. Mostly white, some green paddletails on 1 oz jig head. 50-65 early, 70-90 later.

Hey gonefishing71, if your boat has the juice I'd suggest getting up to AES. If not, consider heading up to Long Point and going just North to in front of Aurora.

The shoreline from Myers up is pretty steep compared to some other places. I don't jig there, maybe some do, so I can't really say, but in general underwater flats are easier to fish. There's a little area just North of Myers that may be good but like I said I've spent barely any time jigging there.

If you're concerned about the wind (like I am), in fair weather there is usually that S wind early, and then it often switches to the N mid-morning. I'll head N early w/ the S wind and then return either in calm or w/ the N wind. That helps keep the bounce factor down.

This site is useful for lake weather info, it's down by Ithaca but you can see the wind patterns. http://www.cayugalake.cornell.edu/ Even today, with forecast light southerlies all day, there was a period of calm / light northerlies before the S wind picked up again.

I'm always happy to answer any questions if you've got them.