Seneca 5/15, 5/17 and spoon question

Fished Seneca around Sampson on Friday and Saturday...

Friday, fish were scattered. We went 2 for 4 with hits coming on a seneca special f/f out 200, peanut down 90, sutton down 90 and a small rapala down the chute.

Sunday was tough with the south wind, but we went 2 for 2 with a small LL and a 3 lb laker. We fished in the 70-100 ft range and marked a TON of bait and fish. We changed spoons, changed colors, change speeds, changed our underwear, but couldn't get anything to fire except a DW Dirty White Boy which took both hits.

As I was putting the line back out, I realized that this spoon was the only one that we had tied directly to the split ring, all others were connected with a snap swivel to the split ring.

Does it make a difference??? Do you guys tie directly to the spoon, the split ring or use a snap swivel to make changing spoons easy?

Thanks!

I was using Sampo snap swivels #30 test in black , the snap would fail luckly while I was putting on or taking off a spoon..........found that the "black" color was done by acid eching (sp) .......and away I went to DW last year and all this year so far none have broke BUt they are not black..........

Vicarious,

Good to see you back in town getting some fishing in! I don't think tying directly to the line is deal breaker. I would do what your doing but try to the inside or outside of that bait and fish your seeing. Lately the early early bit is good and then shuts down. The lakes are setting up and the fishing will pick up in the coming weeks.