Whats so special about this salmon anyway?

Well, this was sort of cool to catch. The size is typical for this time of year 37" but what made this fish special is I was Smallmouth fishing out at the Niagara Bar in front of the fort and just started to troll a small rapala diver in 15 feet and Whack!! I was using a light bass spinning rod and 6 lb test . Wow you talk about a fight, once it got in the current it was tougher. It decided to go out more in the lake and I had to follow with the boat so I didnt get spooled. This went on for over 30 minutes (im not sure how long exactly), finally after playing it out, my buddy netted it. A memorable fight for sure on 6 lb test. It was 37.5 ". Anyone know how much a 37.5" salmon weighs? I didnt have a scale. Later in the day near the green can in 26 feet I get another on the same setup only this one jumped 3 feet in the air and broke the line with his tail flap on the way down. Got some nice bass too. fun day. BP

sept192007ultralightsalmon37incheso.jpg[/img]

I'm with ya on the FUN on light tackle . I used to use a Shakespear wonder rod (9ft fly rod) and a small spining reel spooled with 12 lb silver thread and a maxim chamelion leader of 8 lbs. in the lower salmon river. Ya definitly gotta be mobile. Good job!!