Hot Lure: Meat

Trolling Speed:2.4-2.8 sog

Down Speed:

Boat Depth:180-220

Lure Depth:70-90

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

We got a late start and it took us until 11 to get out to 100 FOW to setup with some pretty good waves coming from the North. Based on reports and my experiences fishing out of Olcott with DalleyDouble on Wed and Friday I set up with Riggers at 70 and 90 and wires out 120 and 225 for starters. I ran SD/Fly combos off the wires, Meat on my deep rigger and a SD/Fly off the other rigger. Put free sliders with steelie spoons on the riggers. We trolled North to check out the deep water. We had a release on the rigger with meat down 90 with no one home over 165', then we had a solid hookup on the same rigger over 180' with a 8-10# king. Next hit was on the meat again over 205' another 8-10# king. We trolled out to 430' and had no action so we circled back. I put meat on the other rigger behind a green e-chip and dropped it from 70 to 110'. In 205 we had a 8lb steelie hit our glow frog free slider on the 110 rigger. Back in around 180 we had 2 lakers in 5-8lb range hit the meat on the 90 rigger. We had cleared some lines with the second laker and before I could deploy them again the 110 rigger popped but went right back down...SCREAMER! My buddy grabbed the rod and I cleared one remaining wire from that side and we were all clear to give 100% to whatever took that meat rig. I was praying that the "meat=big fish" was gonna pay off at least once. Judging by the actual drag ripping display I knew it would be decent. It was nice to be able to put the boat in neutral without worrying about tangling stuff up (it was getting close to spooling our 47SH. I eventually bumped it back into gear and grabbed the net. We put the fish in the boat and figured we might have a chance to slip in on the bottom of the board. My scale on the boat was bouncing between 24-25# and we figured it could be off in a good way so we better check it out. Well, Mitchell's informed us that he was opening up to weigh another fish (Momay's) at 7:30 so we had dinner at Don's Original and then headed over there. It came in at 22.11, but we were still happy with it. It was cool to see that 31 those guys were weighing in. I guess I need to see if I can calibrate my scale :lol: Gonna reload on my cutbait and get back out there this weekend with some new people on the boat!

IMG_20120708_175948.jpg

Also, Thanks to all who replied to my Trade a seat post and especially to Fred. He even let me bring my dad. We didn't put any on the board but we put some low 20's in the boat. Here's a nice one from the 4th!

IMG_8530.jpg

Hey Camo,

It was great meeting all of you guys at Mitchell's - your fish certainly looked bigger than 22. Sorry we all kind of went "nuts" at the scale over there....I guess that's what a big fish can do to you.

Great report you had and thanks for the advice on the cutbait. I haven't had much luck with meat this year, but I think it's time to bring it back out this weekend and next for the Pro-Am.

Be safe on the water - thanks for sharing your story and good luck out there,

- Chris