Offer

Hi boys,

I am a newbie to this whole boating thing. I have been a shore fisherman until last year when I bought a 16 foot aluminum boat, 35HP. So please forgive me.

Here is my story. I have not had a chance to put the boat into the water much at all. Last year I was getting things fixed on it and this year I could not get it out at all as I was pretty sick for about 3 months this summer. Well, everything is good now. But. Being a novice at all this I need some help. What I need help with is getting this thing in and out of a boat launch to start with. I have tried only 2-3 times and failed miserably. Actually getting it in wasn't too bad but I still need some help. Getting it out was a nightmare backing the trailer in. From there I always has a knowledgeable friend who was willing to help me but he has since lost interest in fishing in general for personal reasons. Here is what I am looking for overall.

I am looking for someone to help/teach me how to do this boat thing in general. This would include teaching me to get it in and out by myself eventually, teaching me a bit how the boat works overall, etc. I am not a good engine person in any way, shape or form. There is pretty much nothing to this boat either. Just turn it on and go. Steering is not a problem but docking it in and out is right now. I would also like some help learning where to go and what to use. I am not picky about what I catch but I got the boat to get bigger fish than I would from a shore. Bass, pike, whatever.

In return you would get free boat fishing and hopefully a new good friend. I am pretty laid back with no attitude problem at all. I understand it is late in the season but this offer would be good for as long as you choose. Hopefully for years to come. I am located in Irondequoit about 1/8 of a mile from the Irondequoit Bay launch. The Mayers launch is on the other side of the bridge from me. I am 44 years old, Also I am not limited to just Irondequoit Bay. If there are other places to drop a boat within reasonable driving distance I am open. My time for the next 2 weeks is somewhat limited at nights. Weekends I would have to work around a few things but that's why we talk. I do not have any down riggers nor would I like to test this boat on the lake just yet. Let me get used to the boat in general first. I will never charge you anything for any help given. All I wanna do is learn how to fish and have fun on this little boat of mine and hopefully meet some of you good people.

That's it. That's my offer and I am stickin with it. Obviously you will have questions. I will too. Feel free to email me at [email protected].

Ice

6409 – Learning to handle a boat is like learning to drive a car. Takes practice. Here’s a couple tips

1. Backing up a small boat is actually tougher than backing up a large boat simply because the wheels are closer to your tow vehicle. A small steering adjustment will make that trailer turn much quicker than with a larger trailer. Don’t over correct or jerk the steering wheel when it starts going the wrong way. You have to take it slow and easy. Don’t be afraid to stop and then pull forward to straighten the trailer out. It might be beneficial to haul your trailered boat to an empty parking lot and practice backing up straight for a ways, until you get the hang of it. It does require practice and patience. (just like fishing) It can be frustrating sometimes. (Also, just like fishing)

2. When approaching the dock from the water, aim for the upwind side of the dock. (not the end of the dock) Let the wind & waves help you, not hinder you. Approach slowly (trolling speed) & put it in neutral about 25 ft from the dock. Coast in to about 15 ft from the dock then put it in gear again. When you’re about midship to the end of the dock, put it in reverse until your forward momentum stops, then put it in neutral. The wind or current will float you right next to the dock. (It may be beneficial to turn your engine towards the dock a little while you’re in reverse, to pull the stern towards the dock – depending on how close you are to the dock on your initial approach)

Check out the ARTICLE section of the board. Few more tips in “salmon soloistâ€Â

Iceman,

You have the perfect rig to fish IBay right up until Ice Fishing!

Take a boaters safety course.

Best advice that I was given at the age of 8 when docking the boat don't get moving toward the dock any faster than you're willing to hit it and you'll be fine!

Practice the backing up thing in your driveway for a bit and then head to the launch...

Stop and get a couple dozen fatheads at the baitshop.

Go south thru the channel markers toward the slew of boats you'll see stop near the markers on either side in 8-15 foot of water and drop anchor. It drops sharply from 15-70' at the end of the channels markers.

Rig up a rod with a couple snelled hooks above a 1/2 oz sinker on the bottom, put a fathead on each hook anyway you can, no need to be picky... drop it over the side or cast it out and hold on... you can't miss, the perch may not be very big, but will be VERY plentiful!

I'll be around there and a few other hotspots in the bay until the end of October on weekends in the 25 Grady that will look really out place Perch Fishing!

You will only try to launch 1 time with the tie downs still in place...but it is embarassing that 1 time. I get to a parking lot near the launch, out of the way, do my work and walk around the boat a couple times before I launch. A little mental checklist.