Hot Lure: Wht/Gr SD with Green Fly

Trolling Speed: 2 - 4.5

Down Speed: 1.8 - 3.4

Boat Depth: 40 - 300

Lure Depth: 20 - 120

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

I had a friend and his young son on the boat. It was their first time fishing trout/salmon on Lake Ontario. We made a big circle from Hughes to near Sodus and back to near Ginna. I started in 40' and found cold water 20' down. We fished 2 riggers with spoons, 2 dipsys with SD/Fly combos, and even flat lined a rod behind the boat with some bright spoons. I also ran sliders all night hoping we might find some something higher in the water column. The graph was blank all night. I found one bait pod, and nothing doing. I changed colors, depths and speed all afternoon with no luck. About 7PM it was really flat, and we saw some big fish jumping. That was when I let the flat line out just to see if anything was up near the surface. Still nothing.

I wanted to get something on the boat, and I found a spot near Bear Creek where I have caught lakers on a few trips now. I sent the dipsys way down, and started coming back in to the 80' mark. We caught the first one about 7:45 in 100', and the second one as soon as we were done netting that first one. They were both on the smaller side. I weighed one at 4 pound 12 ounces. My friend and his son were thrilled to see the fish on board, so the trip was a success.

It was really a very pleasant night to be on the water. Like last time out with newbies, my new guys did great on the boat this time too. They pitched in driving, and learned how to clear rods before we had a release. We caught both fish we hooked, so I consider that a sign of guys learning quickly. Around 8:15 we saw lots of lightning strikes on shore, so we packed up, and headed in at WOT. Storms did not come in for a few hours, but I did not want to take any chances.

Tight Lines !

Tom