Cayuga Jigging Report 8/19

Hit the water about 6am from Myers with my Buddy (his first time Jigging).

We went straight up to AES and it was a tough wind when we got out there... its hard to be Jigging in strong wind, as you drift so fast it seems near impossible to keep your Jig vertical without some kind of motor.

Found lots of bait right away but the wind made it almost impossible to stay ontop of it.. Bait was all over at around the 100FT mark.

The wind died down as the morning progressed and it became a little easier to keep the Jig's vertical longer...

We fished from 6am - 10:30ish and manged to catch two very small Lakers... I didn't measure them but i'm sure the smallest of them was around 10" er so. We boated a total of 3 fish... Two small ones and one 26" 5LBS Laker that chased the (very horizontal) jig to about 50ft before he struck as I was reeling it in (to cast out again)...

After the wind died down I did manage to get another one on the line, but we went to net him he took off and spit the hook right out. (that's what I get for switching off of Alec's Jigs and using crappy ones).

I feel better reading about how we weren't the only ones having a rough time getting bites today.

- Pete

Hi New@this - Maybe you are already doing this but if the wind is not howling, casting downwind far enough such that the jig hits bottom at the back of the boat then reeling in gets me a lot of LT. Can be done from front of boat also. Worth a try.