Owasco Report

Fished the northern few miles of Owasco on Saturday (9/15) from 6:45AM to 9:00AM and 2PM-415PM. Went 8 for 13. I caught a serious case of the drops including 3 in a row after solid hookups. All 5 fish that came unbuttoned did so when I was fighting them... Anyway, flasher fly (see below) doing most of the damage down deep. Huge bait balls with big hooks all over them on the screen. One laker even spit up a few tiny tiny 1 inch long alewives. The fishing was some of the best I've experienced trolling. All rods took fish, both riggers set between 100-65. Both leadcore rods each took a fish as well, a 7 color and 9 color. Also caught one beautiful laker the prettiest I've seen with no clips what so ever, possibly a wild fish? As good as Saturday was, Sunday was a nightmare. First trip to Ontario, didn't last to long. Long story short no fish, did have one release with no one home, but we donated a ball and 75 feet of cable to the bottom. I think we'll keep the starcraft on the fingers and leave Ontario to the big boys, I learned my lesson.

Big thanks to trollingkeuka for the new rods and reels, work great! thanks again.

Nice average fish, first 2 we caught were a bit larger.

0001.jpg

The SD/fly combo

image.jpg

As always thanks to everyone for all your help

Howdy all,

I did a couple hours of trolling in the northern half on Sunday afternoon.

Took a big male rainbow on a 200' copper pulling a b/s hammered sutton 44.

I also landed a 17"? laker on a small pink/white stinger. The fish hit after I popped the line from the rigger, and was letting the lure come up to the surface.

I also lost a mountain dew spin doctor with a green hammer fly. If you land a fish with that in its mouth, you're welcome !

I marked a fair number of bait pods. Nothing huge like I remember seeing in years past.

Rusty