What to use for salmon trolling at this time of year?

Kuba

Hey guys,

I started trolling few months ago and lately have been very successful with catching trout. Few months ago when I started I caught few salmons, but nothing lately. I understand that this time of the year they are pretty quiet and not as aggressive as during the summer months. As I said I have no problems with catching trout.

What is the best combo for use for salmon at this time? What color?

What depths should I be in? What depths should I be running at?

Once I followed the charter boats and they went all the way to 300 row, out of port credit, what were they fishing for?

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

It depends ...

The mature salmon will all be in very close to shore now in 20 feet of water. You need to troll with large agressive setups - 12" flashers, purple/red colors. Speed should vary up and down. Zig zag through same fish once you've spotten it on the screen (mark and do figure eights). Your catch ratio won't be good. They stop eating when they spawn as their stomaches shrink. So only good way is to get them angry to bite.

Going to the blue zone is a different story (+300 fow). You are now targetting 2 year old salmon. The setup out there is kind of the same as what was working in 150 fow a few months ago. Try a variety of colors and baits and see what works for the day. I like to start with a spread of spoons, flies and meat rigs (I use artificial strips). I also try blue, green, red and purple colors. When they start biting you will know what they want, and then change up the rest of the lines to be within that range of selection (not exactly all the same, but zero in on color for sure).