need advice 1978 Penn Yan 24 sportfish

zimm298

I have an opportunity to pick up a 24 foot sportfish. I keep hearing different comments about the tunnel drive. Looking for pros and cons. This would be my first larger boat. Love the fly bridge, just would love to hear some thoughts. Would be fishing out of Sodus Point almost exclusively. Thanks!!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

The tunnel drive hull was designed by the legendary original Penn Yan boat company. The company changed hands in 1983, and I don't think full tunnels were built after that. The design, which completely encases and protects the shafts, struts,and prop, was originally developed for the military so boats could be beached without damage.

The 24 sportfish is a beast as long as it's in good shape. Pro's: great for shallow trolling and docking, as I think that model drafts 22". Also, every once in awhile you will dodge a prop repair by clunking a partially submerged log off the hull instead of the prop. Cons: a single Tunnel (one engine, one prop) inboard is notoriously tough to dock, but you can learn the behavior in reverse and at low rpms with practice. Twins ( 2 tunnels, 2 engines and props) were easier to dock. Another con with tunnels is once in a great while a small piece of wood can get in a tunnel and bang around repeatedly, causing much more damage than it would with a "straight inboard".

Those boats from that era have a lot of history in the Sodus area, and are excellent platforms for trolling for their size. Good luck.