Why Fisherman (In particular Charter Captains) are superstitious of bananass

I found this on Yellow Tales Fishing Charters Facebook page.

"Why are Fishermen superstitious of banana's?

You probably won't find a more superstitious group of people than fishermen. Their present superstitious beliefs date back several centuries, with the banana boats of the Caribbean trade.

Many charter fishing boat crews have steadfast restrictions about bringing bananas on the boat. In fact, they'll return to the dock to purge the offending fruit. Some charters go so far as to prohibit Banana Boat brand sunscreen or Banana Republic brand clothes onboard. Fishermen have even been known to object to Fruit of the Loom underwear (one sport fisher claimed he's treated wearers to wedgies and then cut the labels out) Oddly enough, the Fruit of the Loom graphic doesn't even have a banana on it, and some say the banana was left off because of this very superstition

There are many theories on why people believe bananas are bad luck for a boat. One superstition is that boats carrying bananas don't catch fish. The origin of this belief dates back to the Caribbean trade of the 1700s. The wooden sailing boats of that time had to move quickly to deliver bananas before they spoiled, and fishermen had a hard time trolling for fish on such fast-moving boats, which is how the superstition came about. Another superstition that originated during that time is that bananas will cause a boat to sink. This belief developed after many boats never made it to their destinations, and all of the doomed boats were carrying bananas.

One thing we do know for sure; Try to bring a banana on a fishing boat, and you might find yourself waving goodbye at the dock".

Edited by jsmac51

The story that I heard was a bit different and dates from the early 20th century when the banana trade started. Banana boats not only carried bananas but also lots of snakes and poisonous spiders that were hidden in the bunches. Often the sailors were bitten by these critters and got sick or died. Thence it is said that bananas on the boat are bad luck.

We usually eat various fruit, including bananas while on the boat.

The fish have never yet seemed to give a hoot in hell, what we're having for lunch.

Maybe we better stop?........................not.

Edited by Fish Hunter

This is not connected to Big O,but . When I was in Thailand i saw local sports fishermen bringing bunches of bananas with them to the beach. With water resistant ink,they would draw eyes and lines on this forbidden fruit  and used them as casting lures for barracuda (4 and 5 footers). They were very succesful.

Edited by rolmops