Rethinking my spring LOC trip to Olcott

I come up every year to fish the end of the LOC in the spring but I see the WHI is the last weekend of the derby this year. Maybe it has always been this way but I don't remember. I'm sure a slip at Olcott won't be a problem with the regulars slipping at Wilson.

I'm thinking this will take some good water away for me being I fish the Wilson bar and the red can alot. I'm just a weekend worrior and respect the captains that dropped 1k to enter the WHI. I'm not the kind of guy to get in there way.

so what do you guys think? can I find good fishing out front or east or just save the trip for later?  i'm kinda lost here. :thinking:

jim

Its a big lake , don't worry about crowding the captains. I would not know what boats are in the whi or the loc ,just give all boats some room and everyone is happy. I fish loc every year and support that one because most other derbys are competition fishing.

I would still come up and fish the Spring LOC.  The LOC is a great derby. Do not let a little boat traffic scare you off.  Find fish outside the crowd and have fun.  Fish more afternoons too.  The afternoon bite can be awesome and most guys do not take advantage of it. 

Fish more afternoons too.  The afternoon bite can be awesome and most guys do not take advantage of it. 

GAMBLER is right on the money.  Everyone is out by daybreak and usually off of the water by 2:00.  I've had some incredible days in the afternoon/evening, especially in spring.  If there happened to be clear skies AND a full moon the night before, the evening bite the next day can be great. 

Edited by Big Water

We trailered Nothing But Net over to fish next to the big boys in the WHI last spring and had our best day of the year out of Olcott, fishing between there and just West of Wilson. Figures that it would happen when we weren't in the tournament, right?  :doh:

I didn't notice it to be any more crowded than usual at that time of year.