OK this is going to be a bit different than your typical Lake Ontario copper question. I have a couple set ups and last yr I started to take my 450' copper local fishing when trolling for lake trout. Problem is we troll 1.5 - 1.8 (2ish) and I have no idea at those speeds how much line out achives what depth. When I keep letting line out I sometimes find the copper has been dragging bottom but I couldn't tell that (until my set up hung and lost it). The bottom on the lake I'm fishing is very erratic (up and down quickly in many places) so it is generally tough to troll trying to stay tight to bottom (which is where most our larger lakers like to hang). I have been dragging spin n glo's with grease trap and other "light" weight rigs. Can anyone give me an idea of how much line I should let out or what the ratio is at that speed? I trolled a bit yesterday but was afraid I didn't let enough line out to get deep enuf..... I ended up dumping a ton more line out and still never picked up any junk on my line or fish?????

My target goal was 35-45ft down yesterday. How much line to put the lure in that zone at 1.5mph?

If we are yanking I have no problem feeling bottom using the copper line. However my shoulders aren't what they used to be and yanking, though effective, gets old fast for me.

Thanks for any insight.

Spike