Ideas to Fix Beaver Trol

tannero

I recently purchased a boat which came with a Beaver Trol.   AWESOME for slowing the boat down in small increments as it's run hydralically. 

Bad thing is I must of left it down when taking off and there isn't a relief on the system so the stress snapped the metal at a hinge point.  :ninja:     Oh man, gotta get this fixed so....   Looking for ideas. 

One of the pics shows the break right by the cylinder.

Two things I see - need a way to fix of course and need a way to include a safety mechnism as I'm sure I'll forget to put this up again. 

Anyone know a good fabricator?  It appears to be a caste or "white" metal type material. 

Seeing this is hydralic - I'm going to see if I can get some sort of relief valve when back pressure (i.e. throttling up on it) is applied.  During normal troll - there shouldn't be too much pressure. 

This unit is absolutely sweet when it works so I'd really like to get it fixed ASAP.  APPRECIATE any ideas guys and thanks in advanced. 

Few pics to help minds get going :)  

post-148612-0-85829100-1371387325_thumb.jpg

post-148612-0-19434800-1371387475_thumb.jpg

It looks like the bracket s made out of white metal or cast metal of some type...once that stuff is broken the strength of the material immediately surrounding the break is also suspect. I'm thinking that what might work is to cut the remaining material off flush with the main part of the bracket and have a piece replicating the broken part machined out of 1/2 inch or 5/8 aluminum stock or 1/4 or 3/8 inch stainless and have a "base" integrated into the part itself (L shaped bend or welded part) that you can bolt (with stainless bolts) to the remaining plate (forming an "L" shaped brace?). It's hard to tell from the pic how much material is on the base of the unit but the cross piece looks pretty sturdy for bolting to.

I know it might sound a bit lame but I wouldn't depend on something I might or might not see on the back of the boat...I'd put a small note right on the center of my steering wheel (covered in plastic) so that I'd be sure to see it (as a constant reminder as well).

I 'd make a template of the existing unbroken part on the other side by tracing on paper

Edited by Sk8man

How about a search on craigs list for a used unit. Then you would have some spare parts for the future as well. Just a thought if you can find one.

The other thought is to have another casting made, you have the original which they could use to make the mold.

Here is a link for a country wide search on craigs list    http://www.adhuntr.com/2012/05/all.html?cx=partner-pub-9413604915893153%3Ao8xsd8d7h7s&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&q=Beaver+Trol&as_qdr=a&sa=Search