Had a few friends from PA in town for a weekend of fishing out of Sodus Bay.  I have been fishing out of Sodus for the last four weekends, with similar results as everyone else, plenty of lakers and a few small kings here and there.

6/29

We set up in 100 FOW trolling north just West of the lighthouse, two dipseys out one with flasher/fly and one with a meat rig, and two riggers down 65 and 85 with flasher/fly and slider spoons.   At 215' I let the meat rig drop back from 280' to 300' and immediately took a good shot, rod was handed off, and the fish ripped out to 550' on the first run.  After 20 minutes and a few more good runs we had the fish in to a little over 200', that is when the rod took one more good scream and broke us off.  Lesson learned, no more 30lb test on terminal gear.  Worked out to about 280' with nothing more going, and then brought it back in to work from 180' to 220'.  Got a good flurry mid morning in that range with steelies, browns and a small king on slider spoons, orange seeming to be the best color.  Around noon we had worked in to about 100' and decided we would pull gear to head into the bay, last rod to be pulled was a green board with black dots with a green and white fly at 75' down. With my back turned trying to store gear the rod started screaming with another good hook-up, and ended with a High teens King in the net to end the morning troll.

6/30

What a beautiful morning, it was unbelievable to see the big O as flat as is was yesterday.  Given the amazing conditions we followed one of the 'Sodus Bay Legends' out to 250' west of the point and worked out to 420', not something I normally do in my 16.5' boat.  This time we ran two meat rigs off dipseys, and flasher/flies off the riggers.  From 250' to 300' we had a good flurry, meat rig taking a hard shot but dropped quickly, and again picked up several steelies and a nice fat brown on the sliders.  Orange crush and NBK taking fish.  Moved back in to the 100'-150' range late morning and picked up a laker to end the day. 

Great weekend on the lake despite the rain on Saturday morning.  Looking foward to July, looks like the fishing is starting to pick up.  See you guys out there!

post-145160-0-59542600-1372685753_thumb.jpg

post-145160-0-21796400-1372685783_thumb.jpg

Yes, you defintaly have me confident in running the meat rigs out there.  Plus, it's been real nice having you on speed dial, when I'm out on the lake I can just call you for a color choice or depth to run at, Lake Ontario Tech Support!!  I hope you don't start charging $3.99/minute....