Mercruiser 165 question

FX

I have an old PennYan(1967) with a mercruiser 165. I had a problem shifting into neutral while on the water last fall (fun trying to dock). It shifted fine out of the water running with the earmuffs on, but on the lake it was hit and miss - mostly miss! I know it has a cut-off switch, but don't know if there is any adjustment or is it time to replace. Anyone have any similar experience?

Thanks,

Shawn

Thanks Hank!! Getting that time of year to start getting things ready. Is it the lower shift cable that activates the neutral switch? Hard to tell from the book, but there is an adjustment they say can be made as long as you have two people. I tried scoping this out before putting the boat in the barn, but unfortunately time wouldn't allow and hunting season came!

Thanks again,

Shawn

if the lower cable is out of adjustment, or more likly starting to stick , it puts more resitence on the bellcrank thingies near the detent switch, my falures have been more noticable going to nuteral or mostls reverse, then like you said shuting down at the most unappropate time that will learn ya to make a more proffesional slower approach to the dock.why it does it less in the driveway could be a more gentler shift(non panic omg. im gonna hit the dock too fast too fast,bang crap) or something simular.bout the only fix is to replace the cable, ( if its sticking) ive done the force some oil down the sleve to get 1or 2 more trips but it will come back at the most inconvienent time ,like a 20 mph tail wind blowing you towards the dock on a hot approach,geter done now and pm hank for a couple trix that will say you some adjustment time after the install if needed,but if your destioned to save a few bucks just keep a 28lb anchor near the back of the boat and use that to slow down your approace hope this helps Ray K.

Dear FX,

You have a fine economical trolling rig! I restored one of these from scratch in 1979 (1965 PY/Imperial). As Hank from L&M noted, the lower shift cable and related shifting components (shift arm & roller) in the gear case are overdue for replacement. The age, wear & tear, etc. mandate repair on these old Mercruiser I drives. I would definitely replace the shift interruptor electrical switch also. Yes all these units will shift great out of the water with no load on the prop. As soon as the prop is loaded, the dog clutch in the lower case must have a momentary power shutoff in order to shift in or out of gear. Please get an estimate from a professional EXPERIENCED Mercruiser mechanic like Hank @ L & M at Port Bay. Be prepared to understand the cost of Mercruiser Parts and repair. Properly installing, replacing the shift boot, adjusting the cable, fittings is one of the most difficult marine repairs on I/O's.

Rspectfully submitted,

Jet Boat Bill

(551 hours on a Hamilton HJ213 water Jet with ZERO cost for service or replacement parts. Able to navigate in 11 inches of water and park on a rock pile!)

thanks bill i hoped you would chime in there ,my reference to the bellcrank ,and detent switch thingy comes from my past of working on helocopters.sometimes my use of proper nomenclature ant so sharp when she comes to this boat stuff,but your soo right overtighten that clevis thingy in the outdrive area or over snip the cable and it back to napa for more stuff .it was pretty easy on my 4 banger everything right there on the side but i can pull my doghouse in a couple minutes and that opens up the whole back end of my boat.Hank is da man just dont shake his hand unless your ready for reconstructive surgery,hes got a grip like a gorella but gentle as a lamb in his heart.

Thanks guys!!! Exactly the info I was looking for. I know the previous owner had the switch go bad before and it "repaired/replaced" by a marine dealer. Ray, you hit the nail on the head with docking experiences - hard to make that turn into the docks at the Oak without neutral!! My choice of words were "slightly" different though :$ . Want to get this done now before marina's etc get too busy as I'm not sure if I want to tackle myself. Hank, expect a PM when I get time.

Thanks again!!

Shawn

Fx....If you change the shift cable, talk to Hank first. I think you may need to buy a special tap from Mercruiser to tap the hole on the bellhousing from the outside. I'm no marine mechanic, but I think that's what needs to happen cause they no longer sell the older shift cable that threaded from the inside. The newer cable threads from the outside (bellows side).