Just got back this morning from 1-1/2 days on water. Fished in front of stacks in 120. Managed 6 kings all 15-30 lbs. took hits on dipseys and riggers didn't keep track but do know most hits were in the 60-70 ft depth over 120fow. Lots of boats in side in 80-100 so we decided to fish on the out side of them instead of zig zagging every one. Good thing because we had non stop action.

One interesting thing was we had ALLOT of hits on riggers and dip and no one home . Hooks were sharp and berried in clips. It was weird we would grab rod feel the fish for a couple seconds while the drag would scream and boom gone! This happened 2 dozen times at least. Boat speed was only 2.5 to 2.8 ...

On well had a blast anyway. Hope this helps u guys out there. Oops almost forgot on riggers they were hitting anything black and purple (spoons) on dips it was FF glow dot and green fly.

My hunch is on the  "nobody homes" and the "on and offs" that they may not actually get the HOOK in their mouth and merely have the spoon or swivel in it and then open and drop it or the hook catches them in the face and rips free when they run with it so it doesn't actually hook their mouth good. When you look at some of the fish chasing videos it looks like they often swipe at it without connecting and I've had numerous instances of them hitting my dodgers in the past (teeth marks in tape)

Edited by Sk8man

I have seen those videos . And I agree with your thoughts. It's just frustrating because we had the potential to boat tons of fish. We seem to have the right set ups working just couldn't keep them on. I tried slowing down , sizing up and down on the hooks , even replaced some of the trebles with single hooks. Witch I might add worked the 1st time we did it but the next hit .. On for 1 min and gone! Hahah next couple weeks should be interesting since the bite was hot and fish seem to be getting unpredictable as far as temp and water depth..

I hear you.....the temps become much less relevant now as they stage to move into their spawning habitat and they need to be "coaxed" to hit out of aggression rather than the feeding response and this is much more so with mature kings... the younger silvers are probably more into the feeding.

Has anyone ever tried running a fly RIGHT behind a flasher ? On my last trip out my son caught a 28" steelehead. And when we go it to the boat, the fly leader was wrapped around the SD so that it was like there was almost NO leader between them. The fish fought well but didn't do anything that would make me think that the leader got wrapped furring the fight. If a fish will hit the flasher it stands to reason they might hit a fly with basically no leader at all.

Next time that happens you might want to try trolling at about 2.1-2.5 and running your riggers very close to the ball (3-6 ft.) with a 7 or 8 ft.slider above the main lure whether using just spoons or flasher (locate the slider up higher if using it above flasher. Stagger them so that one rigger is say 3 ft. and the other is 6 ft. so it is a little behind the other.This will kill some of the potential slack in the line and give the spoons a little more vibration action. Sometimes heavier "floppy" or "wobbly"action spoons can help get them to really hammer it. Just a thought.

Edited by Sk8man