Hello All,

My game plan was to slow-troll for lake trout until I found a jiggable population of them, then go after them with the light tackle.  Well it took me a while to find their depth, and I burbled my way downwind in 90 FOW until I reached the Devil's Nose.

It's funny how the Nose is such a slight bump, it wouldn't deserve a name in the Southern Tier where I live.  But on the vast featureless LO shoreline, it looks like the Matterhorn out there, visible for miles.  It was right in front of it that I got a massive strike.

Lakers have a signature style of battle, with big, slow headshakes and boring down to the bottom.  Well my Seth Green rod had a big deep bend in it, but the tip was quivering fast.  By the time I got the rod in my hands, I saw a big crashing leap out behind the boat, cartwheeling and swapping ends.  i couldn't even finish saying "HOLY S-" before it broke me off.  Reel in, and discovered that the line didn't break.  The actual spoon broke.  My leader was still firmly tied onto the brazed O-ring of a Sutton spoon.  That thin metal can't withstand the twist and tug of a 10 pound steelhead!

So lakers like a slow troll, steelhead like it fast.  When they hit while you are doing it "wrong", that means they are hungry!  I backed up and made another pass.  Next fish was another steelie.  i played it so carefully, lightening the drag for the inevitable rips.  He gave me more of the dazzling jumps that you go to bed dreaming about.  I din't lose him - 27 inches long.

Another pass and I got a 4 or 5 pound steelhead and laker, both which shook off at the boat.  (the steelhead did so with another stylish jump)  After that, the bite died and I couldn't get any of the many bottom blips to strike.

Sunday I went back and trolled the same stretch.  3 lakers and one steelhead, all in the first hour and a half.  Then the bite died and no amount of goading could get them to play.

Seth Green rigs aren't ideal for a fish that wants to run around, jump and charge the boat.  But when you set out for lakers and get screeched instead, that's a nice suprise!

Pete Collin

www.pcforestry.com

post-140860-0-87208500-1380542734_thumb.jpg

post-140860-0-46093800-1380542750_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...