Planer board reels?

First off what type boat do you have, I had an open bow boat and had a cannon duel reel mast. Then I bought a 22ft cuddy, so I made 2 out of the 1 using all the parts from the 1, I made the new masts 6ft tall and the reels I put where they are comfortable to use, since my boat is a deep boat the 6fters makes the lines high off the water, the clips slide down the line nicely. I can't help you with the otters, as I don't use them, I purchased a set of double boards and never was happy with them, and I went with a buddy of mine 2 years ago, and was amazed as to how his boards pulled. Ronnie told me he made his own and now he made me a set and they pull nice, we were in 3 fters and they just work great they pull strait but they don't pull like a mule to the outside, hard to explain just work nice and we ran 6 lines off each of his boards, all 4 of us guys were busy with the browns, and a dedicated driver, thanks to my brother.

Take the money you'll spend on otters and extra keels and put it towards big jon electric reels. Then make your own set of boards and next year if you aren't happy with your homemades, look at Amish Outfitters or get ahold of Hank.

I had otters, did everything guys suggest (knot length, half keels, reinforcing) and never got them to run and pull as good as the homemade boards I had. After the second time the foam broke at the rope, I had enough. On my way to the dumpster with them, I offered them to a buddy and took them for parts.

I mounted my masts right behind the canopy rod support, basically as far front as I can get them. One on each side so I could mount my rod holders where I wanted them, and a 4 pole tree about 4ft from planer mast. I'm a little old school and couldn't see spending over $300.00 for the electric for a 3 minute job but everybody has their own reasons for what they do, I'm not knocking electric planer masts, there's lots of them out there. I personally like the cannons for their clutch-brake system (simple) and parts available. If you have a hard top many guys mount them on their hard top and I agree with the homemade boards. I pull a lot of lead core and weights on my lines and can tell you the store brand didn't cut it. Like I said before I never was with anyone who used the otters, so I can't say one way or another about them.