93 trophy or 83 grady?

gamekilr

just wondering what would be better.  I currently have a 93 21' trophy with 150 force.  recently I found an 83 22' grady with cannon setup that I can convert. the grady is an I/o. guy said was a v6. has bimini top on both.  what would you prefer and y.  mostly fish Ontario  thanks

Both are good boats. Fishing Ontario bigger does has its advan. In your case you have to look at your powerhouse. It's age condition and can you find parts still. I have a 24' Grady and absolutely love it. The boat can take beatings on Lake O that you body will say no way to. Your always better with the devil you know than the one you don't

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

One is a Grady White :) the other a Bayliner :thinking:with a Force :shake:engine.

The only thing in favor of the Bayliner is that it has an outboard even if it is a Force. If the Grady had an outboard,the Grady would be my favorite.

Hmmm. When game killer stated trophy I was taking that as brand of boat. Overall Grady white is a better quality boat over a Bayliner. Not looking to start any wars here. Bay liners will hold up well over time if properly maintained. In this case the debate would be centered around at outboard vs. an I/O. Each has it pros and cons. Guys tend to be firm believers in one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I would definitely weigh your options.  Is the I/O a mercrusiser?  If not it is becoming harder to find OMC I/O parts, they haven't been put in a boat in almost 20 years. Older outbaords have used the same technology and seem to be around a lot longer.  What do you mean it "was a v6"?  Did they replace the engine with a different engine?

In my opinion there are just too many unknowns to jump into an old i/o system. Unless you are extremely familiar with i/o motors, outdrives, bellows, etc.. I would steer clear. You could repower your Trophy with a newer outboard engine and have a known commodity that you can rely on...

Edited by EarlyRiser

Also with 4 strokes if you drop some hp it won't hurt mph so much.  I bought my motor (1988 150hp Johnson) from a guy that re-powered with a 115hp 4 stroke Yamaha and noticed only 2 mph top end difference.  It takes a lot more hp to increase or decrease 5 to 10 mph on a boat, just a little food for thought when/if you purchase a new motor.  I believe there was a nice looking 4 stroke 150 Yamaha in the classifieds that came with controls, steering, and gauges for $8k.  You may want to look into that if you can swing that kind of $$$.

Also have you looked into fixing your force?  You should be able to get a carb kit and maybe a fuel pump to fix your issues?  It sounds like your float bowls could be sticking if you're flooding out a lot or running too rich and need to have the butterflys adjusted.

Glass stringers on the trophy, I think they are pressure treated wood on the Grady, something to keep in mind with an older boat. love my trophy Hated my force motor though. Seriously hated it

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sounds like the Grady is older and has too many unknowns. I would not touch it if the outdrive is an OMC. Some of those boats also had problematic merc 470's and I would stay away from them as well. Closed system cooling with small heat exchangers and stacked water pumps as well as a gererator instead of an alternator. I would repower the Trophy. I have a 83 wa2002 and the best part is a previous owner repowered it with a 1999 175 Merc. 

Glass stringers on the trophy, I think they are pressure treated wood on the Grady, something to keep in mind with an older boat. love my trophy Hated my force motor though. Seriously hated it

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Glass stringers with untreated wood inside. Glass cracks, water comes in and wood rots! Treated wood stringers get wet, dry up and stay good!

Edited by rolmops