Governor appoints new DEC commissioner

KING ME

NEW YORK STATE CONSERVATION COUNCIL NEWS FLASH

January 25, 2007

Governor Spitzer announces that he has selected Assemblyman Alexander "Pete" Grannis as the new Commissioner of the Department of Environmental Conservation.

Assemblyman Grannis has served on the NYS Assembly Environmental Conservation Committee since the mid 1970s and is a strong advocate for a clean environment. He is also known as an opponent of trapping. He fly-fishes and has a mixed record on hunting issues.

Judith Enck has been appointed Deputy Secretary for Environment and will remain a close advisor to the Governor on all environmental issues.

New York State Conservation Council President Harold Palmer and Legislative Vice President Wallace John plan to meet with Commissioner Grannis in the near future.

Luckily the DEC Commissioner has very little power when it comes to setting seasons, limits, and the like. My guess is, Like Elliott, he will have his fingers deep in the permit and regulatory issues.

But, I could be wrong, Have been 4 times this year and its still January! Good news is that my Auto-pilot is being installed today! 8)