When the gates open at the Oak

Mick

Hey all just giving a report. Most of the ice is completely melted on the river, and the lake hasn't had iceburgs for a while. On the East side ramps near the North there is a 4-6 foot wall of snow blocking the ramps still. I do not think they put the docks in until April, but for guys with smaller boats (like me) that can launch without docks, you had better bring a team of people with shovels if you are going to try and launch a boat. I'm not sure about the west side ramps , but it's probably the same situation after that March snow storm we had. I will be down there 5 or 6 days a week again and I will let everyone know when conditions change. Rock on- Mick

Thanks for the report Mick. I can't wait to get the 18' out. We usually keep an eye on the attheoak site. Most every year they will post in reports when the docks are in on the west side. We usually put in there as parking the trailer is no issue. AND they usually don't charge early in the season.

The town didn't have anywhere else to put the snow during the storm. It would probably take at least a tractor with a bucket to clear a path. During the winter when the creek wasn't froze duck hunters were able to launch and get out, but the snow would have to be removed still. The river is flowing pretty fast, and there are some good mudlines out in the lake. I will give a report when they put the docks in. I have seen a few people out fishing on the East side of the creek (perch,browns,steelies?) and there are lots of waterfowl just hanging out on the creek. I will give an update on conditions when things change. Rock on - Mick

docks usally go in april 1st ish at least a couple on the west side never check out the east sorry its too dark when i go out .. man if we get that 1 inch of rain ontop of the runoff that lake will be a floating mine field(trees and logs) for at least a month or so... so be careful