Kayaking in the cold?

I just moved up to the sackets harbor area and used to get 9 months of wetsuit weather in south jersey. Now I'm afraid a wetsuit might get 6 months at the going rate. Id like to extend to so long as there is not ice on the lake I can be out. I think its a safe assumption I would need a dry-suit and a decent pair of gloves.

If it makes a difference I use a mirage tandem island from hobie. Its almost impossible to flip, but I'd still not like to bet my life on the almost part and find some gear that can save my but if it does and I go for a dip. 

I tried searching this forums for some similar threads but came up more for motor boaters. Im looking for others who might do something similar and have advice on the gear I would need. I do have some 2mm gloves and a 3mm hood but its from scubadiving and is more of an insulate then a keep the water out. My budget is about $1500 but I cant really put a price on my life.

thanks in advance for taking the time to reply!

I know people in New England who wear Kokatat SuperNova Angler dry suits and really like them. (http://www.paddlerscove.com/kokatat-t3-supernova-angler-paddling-suit/ )

Personally, I stay away from the cold water in my kayak until the water starts to warm to about 40 degrees and air temps above freezing. I wear breathable chest waders with 2 wader belts on the bottom half and a dry top on the top half. I wear fleece layers for warmth underneath. Obviously a PFD is a must.

I wouldn't go on my kayak in any conditions, especially cold weather, unless I were confident that I could re-enter my yak in the unlikely event of a spill. By the way, I have practiced this and am confident.