Fishing the SoCal coastal waters.

Recutter

Far from Lake O and the Finger Lakes, but I thought I would share this for anyone interested.

I took off from work yesterday and I was expecting to post a picture of a big pacific baracuda...or a nice halibut...or maybe even a white sea bass...but:

a507d8ec.jpg

I launched my boat around 9 AM and realized that I locked my keys in the car on the ramp. Fortunately, it was a very quiet day at the ramp and nobody was there to get pissed at me! My wife was still home and she drove down with the spare key. (we only live a couple of miles from the marina)

The ocean was so calm you could water ski if you were so inclined.

bd854f45.jpg

(That black thing in the water is a huge sea lion who was frolicking around...a small portion of LA Harbor is in the distance)

I was out at large fishing area about 3 miles offshore called the Horseshoe...it was named for the shape of the kelp forest beneath the surface.

I was trolling with a large Rapala without success as I watched my depth finder for bottom structure...no birds to be found.

The wind started picking up and I had a fast drift. Rather than throw out the sea anchor to fish bottom with a jig, I attached a 2 oz Hopkins with some squid on the hook...fishing near the bottom.

806eabbc.jpg

I caught several small sand bass and some mackrel. I kept these two fish. Not much to brag about...but a beautiful morning on the Pacific Ocean.

617a5477.jpg

Dave

been there done that now i carry a spare key in my wallet just dont tell any of the guys here ,gotta love the flavor of fresh caught fish,pretty odd occurance to have the pacific that flat specially on a day when you can be on it ...........hope you bought a lottery ticket (other than locking your keys)a great day