Newbies going out Saturday.

My daugther and I are going out from Port Bay on Lake Ontario, trolling for Salmon / Trout, Saturday 7.26.14.

We're kind of new to the game still and am woundering if anyone has any tips for us. Depth, water temp (we only have a surface reader), lures, where, etc.?

Is there a thermocline set up anywheres?

Has anyone been suscessful in the area recently?

Any help is welcome.

Thanks, Fishen Fool - N - Summer Fun

Ditto we did well last Saturday in 200 feet of water. Best rigger was 55 to 60 down and running Dream Weaver, Green Alewives and Sea Sick Wobbler. We were using 30 to 50 ft leads off the ball but experiment. Good Luck and be safe! 

Great. Good tips. Thanks, Kooter. Glad you got into them.

I wish I had posted and had gotten this sooner. Because I spoke with a couple of local guys who said the fishing was lossey, the sea flees were terrible ...... So we decided not to go out today and we can't go out tomorrow.

This is a lesson for us. We just have to go out and try. Definiately won't cacth anything on shore.

Lesson learned. Thanks again.

It has definitely become a challenging season but we are getting a spoon program dialed in i believe. Stinger Mary Poppins has been are most reliable. Normally by now its a Flasher Fly but this year is very strange. Always glad to help out New Comers. This is my 4th year owning the boat and 5th fishing bigger water and i am a farm boy that had no knowledge what so ever and thanks to this site and actually meeting a few members at the ramp or the Black North :beer:  we have come A LONG WAY. But still have much to learn. There is no dumb question and there are always members willing to help. This week we ran short leads 10 ft off the ball. As long as you got a good Marine Radio already save your money and get yourself a thermal and speed probe and that will be a big help. We run Fish Hawk X4D. Good Luck and be safe :yes:

Edited by Kooter469