just getting into the trout salmon fishing.

clarence

I have been out every weekend from point breeze for the last 2 months and caught like 6 to 10 fish. That's not very good lol. Using 4 downriggers . Each 10 to 15 ft behind the balls. Tried everything from 20 ft to 200 ft down. Plus 2 dipseys off side with copper line 125 ft to 175 ft back. Using flys and spoons. Have not tried th planner boards yet.

Keep reading previous posts in tackle and techniques on this forum or just start a new thread on info your trying to seek. You didnt state whether you have a fishfinder/ gps or down temp. Be patient as this has been a tough year fishing lake o due to winter it had.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I am not one of the experts on here, but am slowly catching on after a long layoff.  Here is what I would suggest:

1.  look for water temps around 43 and fish the lowest rigger there and work up every 6-7 feet.  I always start with some green on both dipsy (usually SD and fly) and lures.

2.  Keep speed between 2.3-3.0, unless bottom trolling for lakers with cowbells, where I maintain 1.8 or less.

3.  When you catch a good fish, check temp, speed, direction, lead and lure - try to repeat that presentation with other rods.

4.  Fish the bait schools, especially if you are marking fish.

Good luck.  Have fun and you will start catching more fish in time.  Read from the real pros on this forum.

5.  IF rods aren't firing, consider moving to a new location, depth.

Like out 16 lines or 19 lines

Those are in reference to either the minutes of latitude or longitude on the GPS. 

When someone says they are fishing at the 25 line, that is the minutes of latitude, which is the middle set of numbers. a Minute of Latitude is approximately 1 mile in this part of the world so if you are fishing say, out of Olcott, the marina is at the 20 line (the pierheads are at the 20.4 line), so if you hear someone saying they are fishing the 25 line, they are approx 4.5-5 miles out.  Works the same with Longitude, though if I remember correctly, each minute of longitude is approx 3/4 of a mile.

Tim