Penn Fathom master downrigger

adamg

Hi I recently picked up a pair of 620 manual riggers for my boat - are there any typical problems with these or upgrades I should do before heading out? I've heard they're pretty bombproof but we'll see...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Have used mine for over 20 years without any problems. Have gone to braid instead of cable though. Have heard that PENN is going out of the downrigger business..The swivilmatic bases are great if you can find them reasonable. There quite pricy new but better get them now or never.If you dont have them, check e-bay. 

We have one on my dad's boat. It's great for fishing shallower lakes to say 60 feet. But I don't know how much fun it's gonna be cranking them up and down 100 plus feet on lake o? U will have strong arms though

Well I've used electric Big Jon (4 of em on the back of a Wellcraft sport fisherman I used to own), cannons, walkers... strangely enough as the years go on the lower tech I get! I go for 100% reliability now. I use Penn reels w/o line counters (I can estimate distance off ball pretty easy) , and figured their riggers would work like their reels...we'll see! I use a fishhawk temp probe then set 'em at the break. Hopefully the riggers work as well as their old reels...

I have been using the same Penn elect. riggers for over 20 years with zero problems. The only thing i did with mine was added the extension boom on. You will LOVE them, I am not sure about the cranking part though (LOL)  Good Luck

Well...I tracked down some baseplates, mounted them up and went for a fish...one worked flawlessly. The other cranks up and lowers great; except the line counter does not spin...I'll look up the schematic and order up part(s) to repair. I am impressed with the smooth drag and reel on these riggers though.