Cayuga ice? Tips on areas?

bshanggi

I know you are very familar with Canandaigua  and although the lakes are quite dissimilar in many ways they both have good perch fishing at the two ends of the lake with the north ends being shallower for longer distances and flat stretches.  I do not know if there is any significant ice coverage yet on Cayuga but  usually if there is safe ice at the north end perch fishing is done out between the channel markers out from near the State Park and south toward Canoga. It is a long walk to get out to the usual fishing areas. The north end is very shallow with muck and weeds interspersed and the channel area is about maybe 12 ft deep or so with weed pockets. There also are usually large pressure ridges created on the way out and you have to be careful especially toward the end of the season as I have seen 4 wheelers and snowmobiles stranded because of break away ice and they had to drive literally miles to get back off the ice safely at the extreme north end. You won't find any deep water until very far south straight out from the "mouth" of the channel pretty much out from Canoga on the west and Farley's Point on the east and it is a hike from the State park area parking along the road. The area before you get there between Hibiscus Point and Frontenac Island on the east side is also good. Many times the bigger perch (jumbos) are out in this area (18 -30 ft). You will also run into pike and pickerel and sometimes largemouths in between the channel markers at the north end.

Edited by Sk8man