Cracked exhaust manifold

High Bidder

As I was checking my boat yesterday I noticed some antifreeze on the motor mount (1993 IO 5.0  Ford OMC). There is a small vertical rust line on the manifold so it must have been cracked while I was using it last year. It didn't leak enough to put a large amount of water in the bilge. There are different brands of aftermarket parts available and I would like an opinion on the better type to buy. GLM or Barr or etc. Or could I have it welded if it didn't rust out from the inside? I was going to pull the manifolds this spring anyway because I have to do that to change spark plugs. Great design, right!

High Bidder

It depends where the Crack is and if the water is penetrating into the exhaust galley. That water can leak down into a cylinder and cause a hydro lock of the motor. Check out Michigan motorz. I ordered my manifolds for my gm from them. Good prices and fast shipping

Nick

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I probably should pull it off soon. Unfortunately I have the boat stored in the unheated part of my garage and this coming week is supposed to be colder yet. I don't know how long the crack is and it could be leaking into the cylinder. Thanks for the referral. I always like dealing with a supplier who is reliable and has good products.

I didn't have a boat for years until I got hooked on salmon fishing 8 years ago then I bought this boat. I didn't realize that Ford marine parts were going to be so hard to get. They only used Ford engines for a few years I soon found out. I actually had no experience with IO units at all until I bought this boat. Now I have done practically everything you can to this drivetrain from replacing the heads, resealing the transom bracket, replacing numerous gimbal bearings and bellows, replacing the oil pan. I learned quite soon what BOAT stands for. Luckily I have a large garage and can do all my own maintenance and repairs.

Thanks

High Bidder

Even the older GM stuff is getting tough, I had a hell of a time to find the old log style manifolds for my 82, 350 MERC. they changed them in 83. Everyone list them but can't get them, had to go aftermarket and things don't always line up.

I pulled the manifold today. Some antifreeze did leak into the valve port. When I blew air into the cylinder no moisture came out.  I sprayed WD40 into the valve and cylinder. and I guess I'll hope not much seeped into the cylinder. I'll change oil again in the spring before I fire it up to check for moisture there. Does it matter if I change only one exhaust manifold? Some places only sell them in pairs.