Another Autopilot Question - Garmin GHP20

Big Water

My boat is set up with 2 - 135hp outboards and a 9.9 kicker.  Presently the kicker is controlled exclusively by a Garmin TR-1 AP.  I'm thinking about replacing the TR-1 with a Garmin GHP20 to control the main engines for when I get into situations where the kicker can't control the boat because of bigger waves.  Any concerns with the GHP20 controlling 2 outboards AND the kicker which would now be tied into the large engines via a tie bar?

Big Water

Saw this post on GLA. There were a couple of times last year that I was thinking of trying this with my TR1 but I had my wife with me and it was rough enough that she was ready to go in. Maybe in a tournament or with the guys it would be worth a try, especially since I already have the TR-1 and it works great except in extreme conditions where the kicker can't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by TAMTAM View Post

Right sir in the USA, in case you can afford the hours on your main propulsion, get rid of the mechanical steering in favour of hydraulic and spend your money on a fullsize pilot, got the TR-1 Gold myself on a slightly smaller boat, its a great unit but in windy condition nothing replaces a big (powerful) prop when it comes to hold course... (even compared to a T8 Yamaha)

Just my insight

Best regards from SWEDEN Scandinavia!

reply by HONDAM:

This is true, all the TR-1 does is maximize the potential of the kicker. If the kicker is to small to do the job in the conditions no matter how good the driver is it wont help. We had a TR-1 paired with an 8hp Honda on our 24ft Hewescraft tournament boat for a couple years before switching back to the cat. There was a time or two where we were fishing and the waves started well over 6fters and the kicker started struggling but what we did was start up the main motor and put it in gear (no tie bar just sitting there straight) just to help with some extra thrust to get up those big waves and it all worked up fine with the autopilot still steering the boat.

Big Water

Saw this post on GLA. There were a couple of times last year that I was thinking of trying this with my TR1 but I had my wife with me and it was rough enough that she was ready to go in. Maybe in a tournament or with the guys it would be worth a try, especially since I already have the TR-1 and it works great except in extreme conditions where the kicker can't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by TAMTAM View Post

Right sir in the USA, in case you can afford the hours on your main propulsion, get rid of the mechanical steering in favour of hydraulic and spend your money on a fullsize pilot, got the TR-1 Gold myself on a slightly smaller boat, its a great unit but in windy condition nothing replaces a big (powerful) prop when it comes to hold course... (even compared to a T8 Yamaha)

Just my insight

Best regards from SWEDEN Scandinavia!

reply by HONDAM:

This is true, all the TR-1 does is maximize the potential of the kicker. If the kicker is to small to do the job in the conditions no matter how good the driver is it wont help. We had a TR-1 paired with an 8hp Honda on our 24ft Hewescraft tournament boat for a couple years before switching back to the cat. There was a time or two where we were fishing and the waves started well over 6fters and the kicker started struggling but what we did was start up the main motor and put it in gear (no tie bar just sitting there straight) just to help with some extra thrust to get up those big waves and it all worked up fine with the autopilot still steering the boat.

That's interesting and it actually occurred to me at some point, but I never tried it.