Controllking install question

codybuehler

I am installing a controllking on my Tohatsu 8hp kicker. The directions with it say to hook it to the manual throttle linkage and turn it enough to give some play. Is it fine to remove the hand throttle linkage and use the controller linkage as the sole means of throttle control? Has anyone had any success or failure this way? I will keep the manual linkage in the boat for emergencies. It goes back in easily. I could only adjust the manual throttle enough to be able to use 7-9 on the controller dial. Anything above 7 would torque on the servo bracket. Without the linkage, I can use all the way up to 9. (9 being full throttle and 1 being idle.)

Contact control king.  They make an adapter so you can use both.  Very simple to install, it's just a piece of shrink tube and a piece of copper tubing that you install over the original tohasu linkage.  You have to cut the original linkage and slide the tubing over it to give it the play you need.  I posted a pic for another member a few years ago but cant seem to find it.

I just talked to them. The guy on the phone (very nice and knowledgable!) said I should be good the way it works now. He said if performance on the water wasn't enough, give him a call back. I was surprised that there wasn't an automated system when I called and a real person answered. Good deal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Mark, the owner is a great guy, if he is not there to answer he will call you back as soon as he gets your message. A great product, and great customer service!!! I have one controlling my T25 on my boat!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

CB;

I have a Trollmaster, & it is important to get the throttle plate fully open when you max out the Control King, you want to start opening the throttle plate almost as soon as the stepping motor starts to turn.

Good luck;

John