Long point area 5/25

Girl friend family has a place a mile south of long point so we put the boat in and ran down to power plant area... Never fished this far north before but gave it a try

830am-1130 am

TONS of bait pods in 30FOW so much so we snagged alewifes on spoons on riggers ...... lots of marks but only skipper salmon were takers on stick on boards and on riggers with spoons... probably could have had some nicer fish if we started out at 630 am,,,, I say if you are looking for fish the area is loaded with bait

49 degree surface temp over 25-60 fow bait pods are in 20- 35 fow  

The fishing was terrible this weekend.  Just terrible.  I hit it hard from Ithaca to the plant.  Both sides, all depths.  53 degree water everywhere.  Should be much better next week with the warm temps predicted for the week.  Its very interesting fishing between Cayuga and Seneca. I ran flat lines, cores, divers, riggers.  Covering the entire water column, shallow and deep.  Everyone I know that was out caught zip! 

RR

Bandrus, 

Nice area up there at long point state park.  We did a family trip on the boat and hit a winery for the wife.  My little girl caught her first fish, a sunfish off the wall, in the cove at the park. I didn't fish at all on Saturday.   Sounds like I should have madew the trip up there on Sunday instead of the south end.

Rustyrat,

Fortunately or unfortunately, you made me feel a little better.  I wasn't sure if it was my inexperience or if fishing was bad.  I was out Sunday and put in at Ithaca.  I trolled from Ithaca to a little past myers point.  I put in 7 hours and zero results.  I still enjoyed my day though.  I fished solo and ran 3 rods of the following 4 different options with some switching as I thought fit

• Mag dipsy on wire 210 feet, 0-1 setting with flsher and fly
  • Size 1 dipsey on wire 150-160 feet out 2.5 setting with spoon
  • 5 color leadcore with spoon
  • Size 1 dipsey on wire 210 feet out 1setting with spoon

I did mark some fish in front of myers at various depths.  Had one release on 150' dipsy.  Wishful thinking was it was a short strike.   Seems like I saw lots of marks in different areas very deep such as 125-150 feet down. 

Phew, Makes me feel better as well... I was only running 3 lines but also struck out completely Monday (5/25) Fished 6:15am - 1pm or so with no fish except a perch in the south end on a lure 15ft down.

Did decently Saturday (5/23) though with two fish total and my buddy's first rainbow. This was also the first salmon we have ever caught on my boat.

post-147087-14326903609947_thumb.jpg

-Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by PCPete