Combo FF/Chart plotter

CaptSpike

Anyone running the Furuno GP1670F or the GP1870F?

Also looking for reviews of the Si-tex SVS560CF, SVS760CF or the SVS880CF.

Was also recommended to look at Raymarine, but my last impression of their combo units was not good (A65). I'm told they have come a long way. Anyone confirm that?

Thanks,

Spike

Not interested in Lowrance , Garmin, or Hummingbird. 

I like the Simrad EVO units. Multiple function touch screen. Sizes all the way up to 18 inch! Big $...but very user friendly and intuitive. Do not have one YET...but planning on a 12 inch display bundle with 4G radar. Hope it performs like I believe it will. The fiddling with settings on what I have is what drives me nuts. Menus and pages and buttons...argh!

Well I got up to look at some units today. I was unable to check out the lake 4d mapping in the Furuno GP1870F due to the place only carrying coastal maps. The unit itself looked great and for someone who has navigated electronics it was fairly easy to find what you were looking for. If you were a beginner I don't think the same would apply. I got hung up on the C-map and my unfamiliarity of them. I also checked out the Si-tex SVS 560, which seemed small after looking at the GP1870F Furuno unit, lol. The Si-tex was also easy to navigate and looked good. The only thing I got hung up on was the Si-tex wouldn't take the 4d maps just the Max maps along with Navionics maps (whitch was a plus). The SVS880CF was just a tad larger than the GP1870F. I was talking myself into the larger unit because they looked so much better and I figured with a RAM mount I could find space to mount it.

Needless to say I left without purchasing a FF/plotter.

After I got home I started to research the Lowrance models and figured maybe I'll just drop one back in and deal with the menu navigation issues I didn't like about Lowrance. So after comparing apples to apples I found that Lowrance units in the same size range were pretty close in price to what I could get the Furuno or Si-tex units for. In some case more expensive due to touch screens and down vision. I had pretty much ruled out touch screens. I can't stand a finger print on my FF/plottter now nevermind a days worth of finger prints.

So after careful evaluation and reading countless reviews I decided to order up the Furuno GP1870F. It will be a gamble on the maps for me as I am not familiar with C-map. But I figure the sonar will be hands down the best. I don't see myself needing downscan for the type of fishing I do and from what I read about CHIRP it doesn't really help that much either.

The Si-tex was a close second but I'd figure I'd jump into the latest mapping technology out there (plus I could get the Furuno cheaper). The mapping may or may not be a big deal. Guess I'll find out.

I'll let you know what I think after I get it installed.

Spike

Edited by CaptSpike