Has this happen to anyone else Loosing rigger ball over deep water...

I was in 380 FOW Down 80 with a rigger and the ball and fishhawk hit something, drew off a few feet of rigger cable and snap!

Bran new rigger cable, and it was a bran new first day used probe for the fish hawk by the way, what did that hit?

Nothing on the finder either.

Now let me say it hit something, I have lost enough by catching bottom to know what its like (hence the new fish hawk), and I also know that when you power on the scottys they can snap break the cable with big weights, it was none of that.

The rigger arm went down hard, moving boat and the drag on the rigger didn't have much of a chance to let out even (maby 2 feet let out) and  it snapped. The cable were it was broke looked like it was cut with clippers and the break was higher than the beads on the wire as they were gone as well.

I think the navy has a sub out there :)

I keep telling everyone there is a Ness out there. Likes lead and wire.

All kidding aside, that really sucks! I wonder if you encountered the thing some others have reported here. They say that there is something in 202 feet of water near 4 mile. Maybe the thing is moving. . We're you out of Wilson or Olcott? It doesn't show up on the sounder much I guess.

Word of advise for your Scotty. Make sure you get the drag set proper in case that happens again, but if it snipped it off like you say maybe it wouldn't even matter.

Edited by skipper19