Repowering Lund 1775 ProV

Off Sturgeon Point last week and my 90hp Evinrude broke a ring and took out the power head. I limped back in and made it to the launch. It was a great engine and trolled very nicely. It's a '93 boat, motor and trailer that I bought new. I am repowering with a Yamaha F90 four stroke. I am having the Automatic Trolling Switch installed that allows me to control engine RPM's in 50 rpm increments at the wheel. Since trolling is a way I use the boat a lot I am wondering if anybody else has this engine and how it trolls?

Edited by Wrestling Coach

Hey coach. I'm guessing your old Evinrude was a two stroke.  You will love that 90 Yamaha. Four strokes are the way to go, and Yamahas are known for their reliability. I just fished with a friend last week who's brand new Yamaha 150 trolled great and our 250 (Merc Verado) even trolls like a dream. Both of those big engines troll better than a kicker...a kicker is just nice to keep all the hours off your big motor. With the digital throttle adjustment, you will be able to really fine tune your speed. I can't think of any reason why you won't love that motor. Great choice.

I got a 2013 Yamaha F115 on my Alumacraft Trophy 175 and it trolls all day and sips fuel. Runs the boat at 45mph with 3 guys and gear also. Great Engine so far.

That's a fast top speed for a 115. I have another friend that has the same exact set up as you, but 2012.  He also has a 9.9 high thrust kicker, but his top end speed is about 39mph gps with one or two guys.  What prop and pitch are you running?  Stainless?  What hole is your motor mounted on?  Thanks

Those reports sound great. I have had one other four stroke for a short time on another boat a Suzuki 70hp and it was a dream. Well boat should be ready tomorrow and the walleye reports are OK. Giving it a test soon.

• 2 weeks later...

An update on my post. The Yamaha F90 is on the boat. I did the break in procedure. Took it out of Catt. Creek for walleyes. Engine idles @ 700 RPM and that gives me 1.8-2.0 GPS speed. I can control the engine RPM at the tach in 50 RPM increments. Took it down to 500 RPM and was trolling at .1-.2 GPS speed. Engine runs smooth at those low RPMs. So I have great control in wind and current. Engine is quiet and very powerful with a lot of low end torque. Runs my boat just a touch over 40 MPH GPS speed. I'm a happy guy.