Static attractors

Since it's still cold here and I'm bored, I figured I'd throw this out there. How many of you guys attach some kind of attractor straight to the ball? I see this a lot on west coast shows and have toyed with the idea, but never did it. Also, is anyone attaching sections of chain to the balls that drag on the bottom to stir things up when fishing Lakers?

Edited by Big Water

The chain thing could be done but it is risky as it could hang up on something even more easily than the ball and it would be stronger than your cable and connection probably so bye bye if it hangs up.  Back in the 70's when I first started downrigging I tried attractors short off the ball (from it) and it didn't seem to do much in the way of increased fish but I tangled with my release a couple times (on turns) and that was it for me :) .

The chain thing could be done but it is risky as it could hang up on something even more easily than the ball and it would be stronger than your cable and connection probably so bye bye if it hangs up. Back in the 70's when I first started downrigging I tried attractors short off the ball (from it) and it didn't seem to do much in the way of increased fish but I tangled with my release a couple times (on turns) and that was it for me :) .

Les,

I guess I was thinking of attaching the chain with some kind of break-away link. You've probably seen how occasionally bouncing the ball off of the bottom triggers a strike.

Yep. We've done it for years but in a different way. We use our Seth Green rods with a set of cowbells and a 2 lb sinker on a 2 ft drop line suspended from a three way swivel and drag it across the bottom with a peanut or Spin N Glow behind the cowbells. Worst case scenario is that the sinker hangs up and snaps the 20 lb test drop line :)

Edited by Sk8man