Identifying Juvenile Atlantic Salmon

I was just reading a paper by NYSDEC and thought I'd post this exerpt for those interested. I found it interesting and informative. Being able to identify our fish and practice catch & release for the juveniles is paramount to maintaining the prime fishery we have. ;)

"Identifying Juvenile Atlantic Salmon

Juvenile Atlantic salmon and brown trout are very similar in appearance. Anglers are urged to learn the differences between these two species. Atlantic salmon caught in New York streams must be 15" to keep - please release any you catch, but call ESF to report any identified.

Atlantic salmon rarely have three spots (usually two) on the operculum (cheek) while brown often have three or more. The tail of the salmon is more forked than brown trout. The adipose fin of salmon is not tinged with orange as is brown trout. The red spots are usually found on the lateral line on salmon, but are dispersed on trout."

For anyone needing pix. This is the best site I've come across. Just chose the specie on the right hand side & a page with a whole bunch of good photos from every possible angle will come up. Adult, YOY, mouth, fins, details etc.

http://www.wiscfish.org/fishid/frames.aspx

(I'm actually glad DEC & ESF are taking an interest)

Tom B.

(LongLine)