Big-O looks cold

LongLine

Tom,

Actually the contrary. Lake Erie has hit a 100 year high for water temp this late in winter a few weeks ago. And living on Lake Ontario, I just received my first 50 feet of solid shore ice for this winter 2 weeks ago. It has since broken up twice and just reformed again. It is going to be a quick spring up west, (without much of an ice boom to let loose down the Niagara River) there won't be much cold water walls to hold fish over Canada side for to long or more importantly the bait will move freely.

SORRY SKEINER :evil:

Jerry

REBEL

SKINNER i wouldnt be to concerened bout temps couple weeks ago feb 13th avg ice on erie was 6" now on feb 20 its 12to 18 " thick at 1.5" ice a day the water might be pretty cool by now local river and creeks in so ny are froze solid (close) with a few more cold days to go ....maybe ....yesterday was predicted to be in upper 30ths 4 days ago,, it hit a high of 21 with 30mph winds brrr another warm one,those pics of onterio are pretty cool looks like waves frozen in time, hope to be on onterio in 30 days or less if it dont evaporate by then. :?

Ray,

Just read the feb.23 cleveland/great lakes ice outlook, and they report open water still on erie east of the islands and small pockets open on the erie north shore. Heavy gale winds will crack 18inches of ice easily with the water flucuations.

Jerry

REBEL

Jerry, just reread the national ice charts on attheoak site and the thickness was a estimate ,just got back from Toledo and things were pretty solid near shore along 80 and90 .. and my daughters collage shut down due to ccol temps first time in 22 years so i assumed things were pretty cold all around erie shudda checked noaa satelite temps ,30 days till the docks go in :) at the oak.. i hope

Jerry – I agree that the lakes have been the warmest we’ve seen in many years however the cold snap of the last 3 weeks has had quite an interesting effect. (I was shivering just taking the photos) I think you’re right about the early spring & bait. We’ll probably be going deep in June.

Here’s the current ice coverage (19th)

lice-0A2_25_07.jpg

Here’s the temp transects for Big-O now:

2_25_07BIGOTRANSECT.jpg

Here’s the temp transects for Big-O, 3 weeks ago: (quite a change)

2_5_07BIGOTRANSECT.jpg

Here’s the temp transects for Erie now:

2_25_07ERIETRANSECT.jpg

Here’s the ice on Erie via satellite: (23rd)

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/ ... 3.250m.jpg

Legacy – Sorry no mud yet. That’s a thin layer of ice.

Tom B.

(LongLine)