Question about boating safety certificate out of state

Here in NY we are in compliance as long as  the user was born before 5/1/96.. No "safety certificate" needed for inland or coastal waters... Now, I want to salt water fish in NJ, and they want an approved boaters safety certificate... It weird because if I fish in Sandy Hook Bay, and launch in  Staten Island at Great Kills Park, I am legal.. However if I launch on the NJ side and fish in the exact same water, I am a criminal.. Makes NO sense... anyway, I called the NJ Marine Police, and was told that as long as I met the requirements in my home state for boating, I was fine... However all the guys on NJ fishing sites including boat safety course instructors told me I would get a ticket.. Here;s my questions.. Must I take whatever course is offered here in NY to fish NJ or Conn coastal waters??.. anyone know for sure?... bob

You will be fine as the NJ marine police have stated. If your a jersey resident you need a certificate. You will need to get a marine fisheries license though. Be mindful of state waters your in and fish season limits and sizes as they are very diiferent.

Edited by TileMan Dan