Daiwa copper reels

Joe you might want to check out the reel capacity information provided by skipper 19 on here to make your determination and avoid problems. Here is one of the recent discussions. (There were more previously ) http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/58882-new-reels-for-copper-but-need-some-input/

I bought them. Ended up getting them for $70 each. Hard to pass up. If they end up being junk I'll use them striper fishing. I liked the capacity and fast retrieve. Thanks a bunch for the capacity sheet

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Here ya go Joe!..if you need help running the spread sheet just pm me, I'll help ya thru it. You can make edits to the value fields on an Android if you download the sheets app.

Mark

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13FzwTaoEhX8IpbeJW5PzH5ZZFOhLEsUZRtOp0jh0iDQ/edit?usp=drive_web

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by skipper19

Took a minute on the phone but looks like I can fit 500 of 45/50

You wouldn't get much backing on there with 500. I would recommend 900 feet 30 lb braid. And you can get 450 feet 45 lb on there. Also be aware that this table works with blood run diameter copper which is smaller than others. Try to leave about .25 or more in the green box for your leader. A 0 reading is right to the top, no room for a leader wind on.

Thanks skipper. I'm gonna go for 350 and 450

Your welcome, if you still want to use 50lb braid backing, 900 feet of that will fit a 400 blood run 45 lb very tightly. You would definitely have enough room with 30lb braid without too tight on that combo with 400. 450 will be pretty tight however. Space goes fast with 45lb!

Yeah, that is probably fine, especially in a chute position straight off the rod in the middle. Running boards or side planners will reduce the effective backing for a king running off. You might have 100 feet deployed from you backing in some cases. I know I do when I use the outriggers on them.

I have essentially the same reels in the Seagate 60 model. One is a 400 45lb and the other a 600 32 lb. Both are backed with 900 30lb braid and work flawlessly. Nice fast reels and good drags too!

Edited by skipper19

You can always go between and run 40lb backing. I have my 400,450,500 Seagate with 40 lb backing. Gives you a little more strength than the 30, and more backing then the 50lb. I am running 45lb ATOMMIK cooper. With the 30lb PP, I have had break offs at the braid from the board. Just FYI, but no issues with the 40lb. You will love the drags and the ratio!!! Clicker is very loud also!!! Good Luck.

Capt Rich

I'm about 3 1/2 hours south so closest port is Oswego . I did surprisingly well my first trip so hope to find some kings next trip

Ok, yeah it's a good ride for you then. I used to be that far away down towards oneonta. Now I'm 15 minutes to point breeze and the Oak! Oswego is a great port with a lot of fun all around! Look up Pete Shelhammer on the red dock, boat name On The Lam, he would be a good source for on the spot info! Good man!

If I have a 500 copper but the fish decide they don't want to be that deep. Can I run 400 copper off my board with the rest on my reel? I have done it will leadcore running 6 colors out of 10 . I usually just have to put it in the top holder on my trees.  I don't have 5-10 rods for copper so if I get 2 500' that will allow me to fish many depths.   input???  

Yes you can run any distance that you want One of the best ways to let out less than the 500 to is to mark the copper with fluorescent paint every 100 feet. Run your copper down the chute. You cannot hook copper directly to a release, it will break. I use dental floss tied in a D loop on the copper for the release attachment on out riggers. You could do that for planning devices too.