merc 228

dcso

just aquired a 78 crestliner with a merc 228 in it, the numbers on the drive are 5622197 and to the right of that is 1-50r any idea what drive it is? the floor is shot but the rest is solid as a rock so i think i have a project in store. will the distributer from a 350 fit a 305? the one in the 305 is conventional but i have an electronic one from a 350

thanks

ted

Dear DSCO,

Be sure and use all the components that go with the late "electronic distributor". There is a different internal resistance in the coil used with the electronic distributor. And you will need the ignition module that goes with the late electronic distributor (assuming this is a Thunderbolt IV system). If you are short some of the components, I do have the correct parts (far below MERCRUISER prices).

The drive (if original) is known as a "Mercruiser I" drive. Do not confuse this with the later drives known as Alpha Ones. Your original drive has a lifting eye on the top housing cap. Unless "repairs have been performed"

Enjoy your project...It will test your patience level!

Respectfully submitted, Jet Boat Bill

Dear DSCO,

Now ID gets tough on your old drive. The top bearing cap may have been replaced during its life with a later replacement cap that did not have an eye. Look at the cavitation plate shape and compare it to the Alpha drive. The Mercruiser I drive has a rounded front plate and is smaller then the Alpha Drive. The Alpha drive also has a wider rear cav. plate (and has a squared off shape). The Alpha internally does not have a preload pin on the vertical drive shaft. The Mercruiser I drive has a spring loaded pin in the vertical drive shaft. (Can't see this unless you split the upper and lower gear housing.) hope this helps a little.

Jet Boat Bill

my mistake it does have the lift eye so i guess that makes it s merc 1 so am i right in assuming they are not interchangable? if thats the case i have an alpha 1 drive and engine available

thanks

ted