Romaine Electric

youp50

My old 470 Mercruiser's water cooled voltage regulator quit this spring.  We, my boatyard and I, decided the best fix was an after market kit putting a GM marine alternator on.  I got out Monday and on the return trip, the voltage was jumping from battery to charging, 11.5 to 13.5.  Not an ideal situation.  A short outing to an inland lake Thursday found no charge at all.

A stop at my boatyard an assurance that he would look into it.  Not sure how that figures where you are at, here it means 30 days, close to the remainder of my season.

I pulled the alternator and the terminal marked 'battery' was out.  An inspection revealed the stud was arc burned and the insulator had some melting.  I called Romaine in Washington state.  After reaching a supervisor, we determined it was a bad build.  I was assured that a new alternator would be shipped to me from Kansas City.

I installed a deep cycle battery for inland lake forays.  Reinstalled the defective alternator (I need the belt to run the power steering pump)

Its nice to deal with a company that can own up to a problem and 'make it right'.  Even if it is not normal policy to ship before the defective part is in house.

As more of the water cooled regulators quit, please be assured that Romaine Electric has a track record of customer satisfaction.

I have no interest in Romaine Electric, my local boatyard, or the outfit making the aftermarket kit.

Edited by youp50