Point Breeze 7/8 AM w/ pic

Started out west of port in .17w line at .24n line 170FOW...Found a nice veil running there at the 176FOW depth... Trolled through it to 185FOW 10 minutes with the riggers in the water and BAM! 16lb king whacks the starboard rigger. I'm thinking OK this is going to be a good AM bite..pull the fish on board and reset... troll around and through the veil again and back to the outside of it and another whack on the port rigger....on for a few tugs and GONE! Two hours later mid morning screen goes pretty much blank...HUH :? Where did they go :shock: Well so much for the hot AM bite...all 45 minutes of it. Wind blew hard out of the west after a bit and the waves built up to an unfishable condition for a solo operation, so trolled back to port without a hit.

Heres the fish of the day

aV1StdfJ.jpg

It came on a red monkey puk nk 28 set at 70ft moving 2.8 MPH gps 60 feet back from the ball. The other hit came on a nk 28 alewife down 55. Never went north of 225 feet as heard reports out as deep as 475FOW and no fish with a down temp of 40 something just 40 feet below surface. All I can say is man these fish can hual butt out of the area when they aren't happy with something :roll:

How were the fleas in that area? I've noticed that large concentrations of fleas can cause the fish to leave an area. The "veil" you mentioned may well have been a flea layer that the fish simply wanted to avoid.

Capt. Greg Gehrig (Top Gun) has noticed the same thing recently in the Oswego area.

Paul

Free Spirit

I think it may be a stagnant water thing also. It seems the fleas end up where ever the water ain't movin. Assuming the salmon like current across their gills, the fleas maybe a "tell" that there is a lack of current in the area.

The fleas didn't seem to be a big problem right there, only collected a few at the knot on the swivel but I use 30 lb flea flicker too right now. Where the fleas are bad I've notiticed is beyond the .27 line near 350FOW and on out. They are so bad there that they sheild the sounder on my boat from the bottom lock (and no Ray the kid with the mask and snorkel holerrin FISH ain't it). The veil I was seeing was a wall of temp and current clash that had a lot of floatsum in it, green algea bloom, feathers, sticks, and the viel extended down and out to the outside depths. I believe the fleas DO ruin a good bite though, I'm sure it's like you and me when there is a polution in your atmosphere, it irritates the gills and eyes just like our lungs and eyes. You move away if it is bad enough.

Some one once said on here don't get the fleas in your eyes. I havn't done that yet but It probably means they hurt

where i was the same thing happened but it was the cold water ripping in that ended my day. setup off braddocks in 40 fow with around 60 on bottom and the thermocline just outside it . tthe screen was filthy of bait and fish. got 3 browns....around 4,8 and a solid 11 pounder...which the g.f. reeled in and i shoulda weighed in but released...she's still a little ticked :evil: also a decent bow and by 9 the screen was blank everything was gone and the temps dropped to cold to fish.the fleas were horrible, gonna have to do something about that, even the dipsy with wire was loadedup with about a foot of slime above it.i'm wondering if it was the snubber collecting it?

skippy get some of that "Frontline " flea killer .just bought some for DUKE hes been itching and draggin his butt all through the house kinda looks like a little road from room to room. anyways ya just put some on the back of yer neck and it will take care of those fleas been using it for years and it ant effect,effect,effect,effected me yet,yet,yet,yet,yet.I gotta say of the 12 kids still living at home DUKE always brings the fleas home first.