Frayed down rigger cable

HuntNY

I have 2 new Cannon Magnum 5ST riggers and in the first season with them I have a fray in the cable at about 40' on one and about 110' feet on the other.  I have never had this issue with Cannon manuals or Big Jon electrics that I had previous.  I am more like a weekend warrior now but I have 30 years experience fishing the Lake. Has anyone else had this problem and is there something I need to do different to prevent these random frays in the cable.  I'm getting new terminations today but I would hope I could prevent future frays from just raising and lowering the riggers.  Thanks for any advice or information...

O thought it was just me but I purchased 2 new Mag 5's this spring and first trip out lost 2 rigger weight cause the cable just snapped. Then next trip out lost another weight as I was raising. Took a look at the cable on both riggers and I found frays all through the cable. Spent enough money replacing my weight so I called Cannon and they said it must have been something I did, ok that's nice being they were new out of box. So instead of proceeding to argue with them I just went and replaced the cable on both riggers.

Interesting...thanks for the input, I just got back from Woody's with new terminations...I am going to cut above the fray, inspect the rest and put new terminations on.  Man, why is it every time I go to the tackle shop I need to buy a bunch of other stuff that I didn't know I needed!  LOL

Sounds as though there is something sharp or abrasive somewhere in the take up path that is severing and/or abrading the strands since it isn't occurring in just one spot toward the end of the cable which would in that case indicate possibly fast retrieval rate of a heavy weight with "jerking" going on severing strands near the termination where the stress would be greatest.. I'd do a real careful check of everything you can in the wire path (maybe with a magnifying glass?) Probably wouldn't take much of a rough edge somewhere with that type of pressure on it.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks...I just did. Didn't see anything on either side...cut the cable above the frays and put new terminations on...glad I didn't lose a weight. I guess it was good maintenance on a rainy windy day...hopefully it was just two freak things where it got kinked and frayed. Ill watch it closely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app